Baking Free: Gluten-Free Cake Donuts
This post was written by Baking Free™ blogger, Kathleen.
It has been re-printed here with her permission.
Homemade, Gluten-Free Cake Donuts
“I tried this recipe but didn’t expect to like the results. You see, my family mostly likes raised donuts, until now! As a matter of fact, they liked these donuts so much that I went out and bought a second donut pan so all 12 donuts could bake at once. No one has to wait for the second batch anymore.
You will want to have a donut pan (or 2) to make this recipe. It is well worth the investment as they are light and delicate, just as donuts should be. The recipe comes with directions to make a chocolate glaze. After I made the first batch, we started trying other toppings. A jam or jelly topping is quite easy. Just melt the jam or jelly in the microwave for a minute or two. Add a small chunk of butter and stir. If still too thick, you can add a small amount of water to thin the topping.
We tried several toppings and glazes just for the fun of it! I hope you and your family enjoy these donuts as much as we do!”
- 2 cups Baking Free™ gluten-free All Purpose Flour
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted and cooled)
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup or simple syrup
- 1-2 tablespoon hot water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a large stand mixer bowl measure flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. On low mix these together.
- Still on low, add buttermilk, egg and melted butter. Increase speed one click and bead until completely combined.
- Fill each dount cup about ⅔ full. Bake 7-9 minutes or until the top springs back when touched.
- Let cool in pan for about 5 minutes before moving to cooling rack.
- Repeat with remainder of dough. Makes 12 donuts.
- Finish with a chocolate glaze or powdered sugar dusting. Donuts are best served fresh.
- In medium bowl. microwave chocolate chips, butter and corn syrup on 50% power for 1 minute. Stir frequently until completely melted. Stir in 1 teaspoon hot water until the glaze is thick and smooth Add another teaspoon of hot water if the glaze is too thick. Use immediately to glaze donuts. Plate donuts on cooling rack for glaze to set up.
Meet our Baking Free™ Blogger, Kathleen!
A message from Kathleen:
“I have baked each recipe several times using Baking Free™ Gluten Free All Purpose Flour to produce the best possible results. I am not a professional baker with a professional kitchen. I do have years of experience in the kitchen. I hope you have good results with my recipes—remember baking is a skill. Keep trying! Also know that I value your input. You can email me at email@example.com. Happy Baking Free!”